Thursday, November 12, 2009

Net Neutrality

I had not given the concept of net neutrality much thought, only giving it a minimum of consideration because of possible Congressional intervention in the internet. Don't get me wrong I am all for everyone having the same opportunity and access to the internet. However, I am very much against the enactment of laws with the creation of agencies to give everyone the same internet access. The proponents of such legislation argue that without laws the internet providers will increase the costs to use the internet based on your usages. I don't find this to be a big deal. Right now I pay for electricity, water, and natural gas the same way. I don't expect to be given something without me having to do something is return, in this case pay a fee. If I can't pay, I won't use it.

Another thing I am concerned about is how and who will pay for the oversight required for net neutrality. I don't think the people in Washington have given this aspect of et neutrality. Ultimately, the people will be the ones footing the bill for this through increase in taxes, or if internet providers are required to provide access to everyone then the costs of this will be passed on to the customers. Either way we pay.

Bottom line, I don't like government intervention into more of my private life. With net neutrality, the government could monitor my internet usage and at the same time read my emails and see what sites I am looking at. It scares me because this is what happened in the old Soviet Union, government monitoring and intervention. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything to hide and if you ask me I will tell you what I do. But don't snoop, just ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment