Wednesday, October 28, 2009

MIT Class

It has been a very busy week in our MIT program. In our Internet Technology we used the JavaScript to write a small application to run on the ebiz server and display on our iPhone. I am not that good with Java but I could follow along with what we were supposed to do. And surprisingly, my JavaScript worked. However, I did learn several things to do when working with Java, or any programming language.

Java uses opening and closing tags (so does HTML & XML) to tell the program running the code what to do. And you have to use the tags in a set or your code won't compile and run (it will have errors). In my Java classes I always left off the closing tag, not always the same closing tag but I would leave off a tag. In last week's class Dr. Piercy told us that when working with tags, brackets or parens, always put the set (opening and closing) tags and then put your code in between the tags. This way you don't have to worry about missing a tag and you won't spend time looking for the error in your code. Trust me, this will save you an enormous amount of time looking for errors. This tip to add the tags as a pair rather than one at a time is very basic and something that I would have never thought of myself. In the Java classes I was so intent on getting the methods right that I didn't even think of how to minimize my errors. My goodness, I love this tip.

And the most important thing I learned in class this past week is that I can write code and it will work. It is such an amazing thing to be able to write code, compile it, and then it actually works. It is so satisfying!

1 comment:

  1. It does seem like a simple thing but sometimes those are the best. Glad that it helped.

    ReplyDelete